Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Vegetable Garden Summer 2012

Due to the deer, rabbits, skunks, squirrels, and birds, I was forced to cover my vegetable garden this year.  Last year I was competing with the wild animals in my neighborhood for the food I put so much hard work and money into to feed myself and family.  There is nothing like coming out to your garden on a beautiful summer morning to see chewed tomatoes and trampled bean plants, or finding that cantaloupe that was growing so wonderfully, GONE!  
Well, this year I constructed a chicken wire cover for the top of my garden which rests on top of two t-bars in the middle of the garden to hold the wire up.  I also anchored the sides with boards I recycled from my junk wood I had on hand.  The  key is to make it accessible by only securing the sides with pieces of wire and twisty  ties and leaving the middle open to be able to enter your garden to tend to the plants.  Also, get the smallest gauge possible on the wire for the sides and top of the garden to keep those precious little rabbits and skunks from consuming your garden gems!
Next year I will making the t-bars higher to accommodate the taller plants and also expanding my garden to GROW MORE FOOD!

No comments:

Post a Comment